Film & TV
Simpsons is one of Australia’s most highly regarded, specialist film and television law practices. We are in the unique position of advising on over 40 productions each year. This means we can offer a wealth of legal experience, provide unparalleled market insight and draw on an extensive network of contacts.
Service Areas & Representative Work
- - option and purchase agreements for existing works.
- - life story rights agreements.
- - development funding.
- - chain of title reviews and Solicitor’s Opinion Letters.
- - company set-up and structuring.
- - commercial contracts, including Producer Agreements, Director Agreements, Crew Agreements, Actors Agreements, location releases.
- - commissioning and co-commissioning.
- - clearances, script review and classification.
- - production insurance and FX risk management.
- - compliance with guild and local union requirements.
- Content Commercialisation:
- - domestic and international distribution.
- - sales agency arrangements and platform deals.
- - rights acquisitions for exploitation and format deals.
- - general commercial advice.
We cover all aspects of film and television legal work and have very likely dealt with any issues you will need to negotiate. From development, financing and production through to international distribution - we have the experience. Our lawyers are specialists in the field, commercially focused and technically proficient.
Our production and financier credits cover many of the independent Australian produced drama programs on linear and non-linear television, streaming platforms and in cinemas.
Our local market perspective enables us to provide informed strategic and commercial advice, shaped by an awareness of international trends and the impact of digital disruption.
We work with major and independent producers to source and structure deals for the creation of content and represent some of the industry’s leading financiers. Our clients are involved in all facets of financing, creating and commercialising content and include studios, distributors, platforms, content aggregators, channel providers and government agencies. These networks enable us to connect our clients with opportunities, deal structures and finance arrangements that are not always open to others.