Simpsons has long been a renowned music law firm. We have a unique breadth and depth of practical and legal experience in the Australian music industry - from winning Australia's biggest music copyright cases, to advising global rights management businesses, and representing creators and composers.
Service Areas & Representative Work
- Acquisitions and sales of music assets and rights
- Collecting societies
- Copyright and performers’ rights
- Copyright infringement and enforcement
- Co-writer agreements
- Financing and investment structures
- Live performance and touring
- Management representation and agency arrangements
- Multi-media, online services and new technologies
- Music licensing and distribution contracts
- Music publishing agreements
- Music rights clearances and licensing
- Promotion, sponsorship and merchandising
- Recording agreements
- Rights management issues and structuring
- Producer and re-mixer agreements
Jules Munro is a co-writer, with Shane Simpson AM, of the music industry bible Music Business: A Musician's Guide to the Australian Music Industry, which is a standard text.
Our expertise and long experience cover every issue you are ever likely to encounter in dealing with the music industry and music rights.
Because we act for a huge range of clients in the sector - from global rights management companies and other large enterprises dealing with music rights, down to individual artists and producers - we are very well-placed to advise and help structure your music-related transactions and resolve your music rights issues.
We can help you, for example, structure a music business or a music deal, defend and enforce your rights, buy or sell a music catalogue, clear music rights, do a deal with an artist or a composer, negotiate your recording or publishing agreement and guide you through all the tricks and traps of this very complicated sector.
Our lawyers are highly knowledgeable, technically proficient, responsive and very commercial.