Simpsons acts for many of Australia’s largest national and international publishing houses as well as many successful independent publishers. The firm is also regularly asked to represent high profile national and international authors.
Our experience spans virtually all commercial issues faced by publishers and authors ranging from contractual advice and collecting societies to pre-publication advice and litigation.
The firm has acted in numerous high-profile cases for both authors and publishers including representing Australian publishers in the Google Books class action in the United States (see Dispute Resolution).
Simpsons is a proud supporter of the Indigenous Literacy Foundation.
Service Areas & Representative Work
- Pre-publication reviews including for defamation for both low risk and high-risk manuscripts.
- Advising on copyright clearance issues.
- Drafting suites of licence templates for new publishing companies.
- Drafting publishing contracts with authors and illustrators.
- Drafting website terms and conditions.
- Advising on privacy policies and procedures.
- Sales, agency and distribution agreements for print and Ebooks.
- Author - Publisher - Agent agreements.
- ICT service agreements.
- Dispute resolution.