Simpsons has acted in many of Australia’s most high-profile and precedent-setting cases across the Entertainment, Arts and Intellectual Property sectors with an excellent record of success for our clients.
Our jurisdictional experience includes High Court, Federal Court, Supreme Court, Copyright Tribunal, IP Australia and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, and the High Court of New Zealand.
Service Areas & Representative Work
- Defending Kobalt Music against claims of copyright infringement in relation to the song Love Is In The Air (ongoing)
- Acting for Netflix in relation to a copyright licence scheme proposed by APRA AMCOS in the Copyright Tribunal (the largest Copyright Tribunal referral to date) (ongoing)
- Defending a major national law firm (Maurice Blackburn) against multiple claims involving trade marks, Australian Consumer Law, copyright and interference with contract brought by State Street Global Advisors in relation to the iconic “Fearless Girl” statue (ongoing)
- Acting for Universal Music Publishing against politician Clive Palmer in relation to Twisted Sister’s We’re Not Gonna Take It (first detailed consideration of the satire defence and obtaining largest additional damages award against an individual) (ongoing)
- Representing Screen Australia, a Commonwealth Government agency, in Administrative Appeal Tribunal cases in relation to film financing and tax offset determinations (ongoing)
- Acting for the National Gallery of Australia in relation to breach of contract, fraud arising from major international art fraud in New York proceedings (with US firm) (ongoing)
- Acting for Eight Mile Style (owner of Eminem’s Lose Yourself) in its successful claim against the New Zealand National Party in relation to its election campaign
- Acting for major Australian film producer in a contractual dispute with Warner Bros. regarding the blockbuster film, Mad Mad: Fury Road
- Protecting Dick Smith’s OZEMITE trade mark from Federal Court cancellation proceedings
- Defending Hachette Publishers Australia in defamation proceedings
- Acting for Larrikin Music in the seminal music copyright case involving Kookaburra Sits In The Old Gum Tree, and successfully defending appeals to the Full Court of the Federal Court and the High Court of Australia
- Acting for the estate of Max Dupain successfully resisting a trade mark opposition
- Representing Random House, Macmillan, Simon & Schuster & Allen & Unwin in relation to a dispute between a high profile author and an agent in relation to confidential information
- Acting for the private owner of a painting and his agent in an Administrative Appeals Tribunal case involving the refusal of an export permit under the Protection of Movable Cultural Heritage Act 1986 (Cth)
A committed team of strategic and skilled litigators and negotiators with a deep legal and commercial knowledge of the Entertainment, Arts and Intellectual Property sectors driving the best possible outcomes. The team is led by Adam Simpson.